Bodegas Toro Albalá is a wine producer in the Montilla-Moriles region in the south of Spain. It was established in 1922 by Jose María Toro Albalá, but its roots date back to an estate that was founded in 1844 by Albalá's grandfather, Antonio Sánchez Prieto. It was the first producer to commercialize Pedro Ximénez as a single variety wine, and now makes a range of high-end wines from the variety.

The original bodega and vineyard was situated on slopes near Castillo de Poley, a castle outside of Aguilar de la Frontera. There is rumored to be a remaining cask of the 1844 vintage from this vineyard still cellared today. In 1922, Jose María Toro Albalá relocated the winery into what had been the first power plant in the Montilla-Moriles region. Jose María established the Bodegas Toro Albalá name, and focused the winery on the Pedro Ximénez grape that the Montilla-Moriles region is now known for. The power plant continues to thematically inspire labeling with Albalá offering a dry fino from Pedro Ximénez that is sometimes sold in bottles that look like lightbulbs.

In the 1980s the winery was taken over by its current owner and oenologist, Antonio Sánchez Romero. Romero set aside 1200 oak casks for aging vinegar, and also sells Arrope syrup made from Pedro Ximenéz, both under Toro Albalá's gourmet selection. Albalá has two main wineries, one in Moriles and the other in Aguilar de la Frontera. Roughly 30 percent of its fruit is estate grown, and the other 70 percent is bought from local growers.

Toro Albalá produce a range of vintage-dated single-vineyard Pedro Ximenéz, all with a minimum of 25 years in oak, and some dating back to before the Spanish Civil War. The techniques used to make these wines allow alcohol levels of 15 percent and more without being fortified – unlike Sherry. This is one of the characteristics that allow the Toro Albalá range to age so successfully for and for so long.


1946 Bodegas Toro Albala Don Px Convento Seleccion Sherry - 100 pts - 750ml

$0.00 $0.00