Taylor Fladgate is one of the most important Port houses in the Douro. It is notable for its wide range of traditional ports, from vintage expressions to tawny ports of various ages, but mostly for its creation of the Late Bottled Vintage, or LBV, style.
The company got its start in 1692 when English wine merchant Job Bearsley arrived in Portugal, although it would be many years and owners before it came to be known as Taylor's. Bearsley initially traded in red Portuguese wine from the northwest of the country, and in 1744, under his grandson Bartholomew, the company became the first British wine merchant to buy a property in the Douro.
Taylor's changed hands often during the 19th and 20th centuries, coming under control of both Joseph Taylor and John Fladgate, who gave the company its name. Taylor's survived a rebuild after phylloxera hit at the end of the 19th Century and the two World Wars. It came to the Yeatman family at the beginning of the 20th Century, and they have been the proprietors since.